Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Babhuti, Abhy and I

I enjoy writing and decided I wanted to enter the short story competition held jointly by Harper Collins and Indiblogger. Before submitting my story I wanted to go through the FAQs. That's where a topic of discussion started by a cartoonist caught my eye.

His name, he said, was Abhyudaya and he wanted to know how he could get published as a cartoonist. These were his exact words - I am a cartoonist and I doodle mostly on current affairs and sometimes on modern day relationships etc. My toon blog address is http://abhyudayatoons.blogspot.in/.I was wondering whether I could have some tips about getting published in India.

On further investigation I realised his cartoons were lovely. I'd always pictured cartoons exactly like his accompanying my reading of "Bhabuti Naaie, Bhabuti, the Barber". So I emailed him. Several emails later we were on to our joint project. This is the end result. The story is Rajasthani folklore - Babhuti discovers the king has only one ear.

That's not all. Here's what he wrote in one of his emails to me after the project was complete. Thank you so much Khoty, that is all the encouragement I needed. So happy and looking forward to the weekend. It's about that one push that makes you go running after your dreams. One approval that lets you shift gears. You'd be proud to know that I just received an email from a new Mumbai based magazine portal, "Mumbaimag" to work as a cartoonist for them. I had applied there only after drawing for you.

Well Abhy, like I said to you, all I did was recognise, appreciate and use your talent for my story. You already had your wonderful art. Still, I can't help feeling happy it all turned out the way it did. And congratulations on your new job.


 


   
The link again - BABHUTI NAAIE, BABHUTI, THE BARBER






 

17 comments:

  1. Mmm! Great to hear that! Been following Abhyudhaya myself and great to hear that his talent has got due recognition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CS. I'm simply delighted with what we've created together.

      Delete
    2. Heart warming to be appreciated, sir. Thank you for all the support.

      Delete
  2. A very kind gesture KayEM and an inspiring deed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this is so cool and seriously with life you don't know what turns to what na?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to both of you ---for your talents finding each other --and congrats to you for that sweet gesture

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is a happy ending, isn't it? :)
    Or a happy beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All folklore should have happy endings, Amit. Great for kids.

      Delete
  6. It was nice to learn that a question posted by Abhy in the web finally led him to a job he loves to do.

    The story and the cartoons are great and very well narrated . Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Zunnur. What's doubly rewarding is that I thoroughly enjoyed this project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a heartwarming tale! Good on you Khoty!! Shall go across and read the story in a while!

    ReplyDelete